Wayne's Worldview is a place to share my unique perspective of the world as formed from my interpretation of the scriptures and my experience as a Christian. As a pastor, I am asked a lot of questions about current issues, life dilemmas, personal problems, politics, biblical interpretation...etc.I offer these "How I see it" thoughts in effort to challenge people to think about their worldview, and to stimulate good conversations that will help us become more whole.
Welcome to the conversation.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can't Help but Smile

I have a tendency to go into deep theological waters on my blog, so I decided to lighten up a bit and share a page from my "2011 Fishing journal"... I hope this story makes you smile and motivates you to share your good gifts with someone else...

I wet a line for the first time of the season on June the 16th. A little late in the season to be out for the first time, but this trip was worth the wait. I had the opportunity to share the sport with a Dad, who had little fishing experience and his autistic son of 5, who really wanted to go fishing. Nothing fits that bill, like bluegills, so we headed for a golf course with the gear, some crawlers, and little Jack in tow. Not only are those little pond’s filled with fish; they are not heavily fished, and have few snags, which is a good combination when you’re five years old.

Plenty of action is what we were going for and the pond did not disappoint. Their whole family decided to come, so I brought a couple extra rods. Fun was had by all, but especially little Jack. Every time his bobber went under and his pole would bend from a 3” bluegill, he would let out a squeal of delight that echoed for a mile! If you have a strong aversion to smiling, this sight and sound is the cure. It was a better noise than the ripping drag followed by “fish on!” in a Salmon derby. Promise to self: “Share the joy of fishing with the children”.

No comments:

Post a Comment