Wayne's Worldview is a place to share my unique perspective of the world as formed from my interpretation of the scriptures and my experience as a Christian. As a pastor, I am asked a lot of questions about current issues, life dilemmas, personal problems, politics, biblical interpretation...etc.I offer these "How I see it" thoughts in effort to challenge people to think about their worldview, and to stimulate good conversations that will help us become more whole.
Welcome to the conversation.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting More out of the Bible

I was recently asked “how can I get more out of scripture when I read it.” Like a meteorologist gets more out of looking at the sky than the average person because of their training, we too, with some simple disciplines can get more out of scripture than first meets the eye. So I am going to do a few blogs on the subject.. First installment- Look for word repetition and patterns in scripture. Word repetition can occur in Books of the Bible, as well as a single teaching within a book. Word repetition in scripture is sort of like underlining something or using bold print when we take notes- it provides and emphasis to something that is important. Take for example John 15:1-8 (NIV)

The Vine and the Branches
15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
a The Greek for prunes also means cleans.

I have made a word construction from three different words that are repeated in the teaching. In this text you can easily identify Branch, Vine and Fruit and repeated words. Identify how these words are used in conjunction with the rest and the passage comes alive. If therefore you understand the importance of these three words, you will understand the text more fully and it’s implications in your own life. You can apply this principle to almost every passage you study.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to your posts on this. Today's is a good one!

    ReplyDelete